Congratulations to our 2023 Suffolk Zone Senior Award Winners!
Our Physical Education Program honors the senior class by participating in the Suffolk Zone Awards. The Suffolk Zone Awards is a time for all high schools in Suffolk County to honor a top female and top male student that displays excellence in physical education achievement in the following areas:
- Physical Education Achievement: The student earns an “A” average or has earned above a “90” in high school physical education classes.
- Scholastically Sound: This student earns an overall grade point average of 3.0 (“B”) on a 4.0 (“A”) scale at the completion of his/her 11th grade year. The student continues at his/her potential during their senior year.
- Outstanding Character: This student contributes to the overall positive outcome of their physical education class as well as their school. This student makes an outstanding effort to be cooperative, honest, poised, self-confident, attentive, industrious and enthusiastic toward all class activities. In addition, this student is always working to support the instructional efforts of the class.
- Physical Education Leader: This student is a leader in class activities and demonstrates the ability to accept responsibility for regular class tasks.
- School-wide Activities as a “Leader”: This student should be active in a leadership capacity within and/or outside the school environment as:
a. Officer in an organization
b. President of a club
c. Active as a member of a school or community group
d. Volunteer for a support group such as Special Olympics, Athletes helping Athletes, etc.
e. Captain of a team
- Role Model: This student achieves a high level of physical fitness as determined by individual accomplishments on the test battery recognized by the district. In physical education class, this student demonstrates a positive attitude toward the instructional activity and provides support for the success of others. This is the student that teachers and students look to as “living” a healthy lifestyle inside school as well as in the community.
Our students are chosen based on the criteria listed above and by the Physical Education Staff.